Sunday, May 23, 2010

Swirling Chaos

I have spent the last two days getting ready for a milestone in my move to Seattle, big stuff day. I have people that are going to help me move the large objects that I am taking, and a big chunk of the boxes into the PODS storage unit that I will use for the actual move. The plan is to load up the stuff that I need help with, then fill in the remaining space with boxes as best I can. After that I can decided what I still have that I thought I wanted that either will go with the rest, or due to space considerations be left behind.

My list of large, important things is actually pretty short. I have a china cabinet and end table that my step-grandfather Pops made. I am pretty attached to them not only because he made them by hand (he was a cabinet maker), but also because they represent the sum total of my legacy from my father's side of the family. That is a long story and this is not the place. Another thing I care about is my Grandpa's chair. My Grandpa had this green vinyl rocking recliner, and when my Grandma remarried and broke up her house I ended up with it. It is not the prettiest girl at the dance, but it is still in good shape and it holds many memories for me. The other things are a chest freezer (for controlled fermentation), my bed, a couple of book cases, an old foot locker, and 20 odd boxes that are already packed. Just about all of my other furniture is either going (or has gone to) a new home, or will be left for the bank to deal with.

What I have to do now is make sure that everything will be ready when the time comes, which means clearing a path for things to move through and making sure everything is empty and ready to pick up. I think I am in good shape for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment