Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Aftermath

Well the movers did get here and the stuff that was on the slate to be moved was. There were a few hitches along the way though. First they were late, which made me twitchy. I am not a guy that is scheduled down to the minute, but when I have a schedule to keep I make sure I keep it. Then there was the drive over to the storage unit. Normally there is no shortage of aggressive drivers in Kansas City, but they were no where to be seen on this drive. First I had a lady get between me and the moving van which was not exactly burning up the road, so I slowed down figuring she would get frustrated and pass me. No such luck, she stayed there for miles until she finally pulled over on the shoulder for some reason. By then there was a whole line of cars between us. Once more no matter how slow I went, no one passed me.

Once we finally got over to the storage unit things were easy. The unload took about 20 minutes, just a bit longer than the drive. Everything is stacked and reasonably secure. I even have about 40%-50% of space left. Which brings up another issue now. Right now I have almost all of the large objects I am moving to Seattle with me over there. The only notable exceptions are my flat-screen TV and computer chair. With the space I have left I want to grab a few more items. One of which is the stand the TV is on and a table that the legs come off of with ease.

What I really need to work on though is my brew gear. I have 10-12 carboys, a mash tun, brew pot, stand burner, a couple of kegs, and some bottles to take with me. I figure I am going to wrap all of the carboys in bubble wrap and shrink wrap. Put those that will fit in my freezer in there and stash the rest in milk crates.

Then once all of that is over there the only thing left to work out is the inventory. I have a fair inventory of beer and wine, well mostly wine at this point. I have two cases of beer for drinking and two for competitions, but at least 8 cases of wine. I have some people that will take some of the wine from me, but I do want to keep as much as I can. But I have two problems with it. One is I don't want to put it in a storage container that will sit in the sun for three weeks before being put on a truck to Seattle. The second is what to do with it once I am there. I will have limited space and I do not want to just leave it exposed to the swings in air temp there either.

I suppose this is a whiny problem to be having, but I need to get it figured out soon. Now back to packing the rest of my stuff up.

No comments:

Post a Comment